Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Celebrity Lunch Date: Fictional Characters 3

I know I would not be the only person in line to meet this next character if she were to ever come into being:

Elizabeth Benett from Pride and Prejudice

stolen here

I think Lizzy is amazing. As Meg Ryan says in You've Got Mail, Elizabeth Bennett is one of the most complex characters ever written. At times she seems shallow- others very deep. But what I love most is how she makes fun of people right to their faces- and they are too oblivious to know what she's doing, especially Mr Collins.  She knows how she wants her life to be and even though being constantly tortured by a ridiculous mother, she doesn't allow herself to be swayed.  I think that takes guts- to turn down a sure thing (albeit a sure thing that will surely make her miserable forever) and hold out on the hopes of something greater.

Have you ever read Shannon Hale's Austenland? You totally should. If they really have vacations like this, I'd love to do it. To submerge oneself in Georgian times, the culture, the clothing- I think it would give us a real appreciation for what we have now, while still getting the chance to experience the romance of it all.

Of course, if we're going to be honest, I only want to meet Elizabeth so I can size her up and see what needs to be done to get her out of the way so I can have Darcy all to myself.

No comments: