Thursday, April 28, 2011

My London Travel Guide: places I've been (part 2)

Have I mentioned yet today how much I love London?

Well, I totally do.

Some other things I did while I was there, that I would do again:

Platform 9 3/4 at Kings Cross Station



Every Harry Potter Geek needs to go here. Seriously. Not only is it a lovely place- but it's magical! Even lame-o muggles like me can feel it.

Next Stop: Portobello Road

Ever since I was a kid I've wanted to go here. They sing about Portobello Road in Bedknobs and Broomsticks


It's also talked about in the movie Notting Hill (Notting Hill is where Portobello Road is) so naturally I had to go there. Apparently they're only open on certain weekends though. I'm really lucky I was there on one of the days they have the street vendors. And yes, they really do have everything and anything a chap can unload. The only one singing and dancing in the streets was me though... so don't count on that part (unless you go with me, cuz I'll totally do it again).

Next stop: Trafalgar Square



It's just one of those places you have to go to to say you were in London. Plus, It's mentioned in a book I just read, so now I want to go back again so I can look at it through the eyes of the characters in the story.

Next Stop: Covent Garden




It was super fun to just wander around. There were live statues and sculpted statues. The best Indian food I had during my UK visit was sold from a stand in the middle of the walk way. Amazing. Plus there was a lot to see. So much in fact, that I need to go again to drink it in again.

And Finally: Buckingham Palace



This was another one of the things I did on my day alone in London. I got there in time for the Changing of the Guards, which is cool to see, but to be honest, it's a bit of a snoozefest. If you're going to go, go with someone you can talk to to pass the time. I have some good video of it... if only I knew where the camera was... hmmm...  The queen was home so I didn't get to go inside. I didn't have time anyway. But next time I would like to try.

No comments: