Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Casting Call

Of course, like gazillions of others, I read the books before the movies came out (not long before, mind you. I was very resistant of jumping on the Harry Potter bandwagon. I don't like to do things because everyone else is doing it- it was the same with Twilight. I read them before I knew how popular they were... are... whatever) Anyway- I had pictures in my head of the characters and some of the people cast fit the bill exactly, some not so much.  Of course, now, ten years later, they've grown on me and I can't see anyone else in the roll- but there were a few that were perfect (for me) from the get go. Let's talk about them today.

Rupert Grint as Ron Weasley


 Seriously. When I read the book- before the movie was announced or anything- this is who I pictured as Ron. I think of the whole franchise, he is my favorite.  :) I love Ron!

Richard Harris as Albus Dumbledore. 


Don't get me wrong, I like Michael Gambon, but I think that Harris's Dumbledore was perfect.  Major shame that he passed away before he could finish out the series.

Oliver and James Phelps as Fred and George Weasley


These silly trickster twins are picture perfect for the roles they were born to play.

Maggie Smith as Professor Minerva McGonagall


She is such a beautiful, gracious lady- but she plays the stern tartan wearing witch with flare! Perfect!

David Bradley as Filch


Seriously, he's awesome.  He's a fantastic actor! (I know, I've seen him in real life!) and it seems as if this role was written for him. He absolutely embodies the role of the creepy custodian. 
   
Robbie Coltrane as Rubeus Hagrid


Partially due to some great filming techniques, partially due to the fact that he's just built to be Hagrid, I wouldn't mind if this gentle (half) giant knocked my door down to tell me I was magical.

Robert Pattinson as Cedric Diggory


Before anyone really knew who he was- he was Cedric. I giggled in delight the first time he jumped out of that tree on the way to the Quidditch World Cup.  He is *exactly* how I pictured Cedric and *exactly* how he is described in the books. Well done, Casting Director. Well done.

No comments: