Monday, June 17, 2013

Ten Years

We interrupt these Disney posts to bring you this news flash:

It's been ten years since I got home from one of the greatest adventures of my life. I served as a missionary in the New Jersey, Morristown Mission. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. I learned a lot from those 19 months (like how to deal with cockroaches, and majorly bi-polar people) and made some of the best friends I've ever had in my life.


It's been ten years and I still have dreams that I'm back on the mish.

I keep running the "post mission song" in my head (someday I'll post the whole thing- I just can't remember all the words right now). It was a song sung by my companion, roommates and me at our last spring conference, each sister dropping out as she got married in the song. So far it's been pretty true to life. I was the last to go- and my chorus went:

Returned sisters of New Jersey,
I guess it doesn't happen to us all
So I'll turn my papers in
and I'll serve the Lord again
I guess in love I just wasn't meant to fall.

Hahaha- seriously, I'll get the words and post the whole song it's hilarious.

But in the meantime, here are some pictures from our final Preparation Day trip to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty.







And then our final picture as a group before we headed to the airport.


Sometimes I get really, really homesick for the Garden State. Especially this year with all the cicadas. And I really, really miss fireflies.  I also miss the diversity of the people. Someday I'll make it back there. Everyone I know is gone from there, but still, it would be nice to revisit the ol' stomping grounds. Someday.

No comments: