Sunday, May 12, 2013

Looooove aaaat Hooooome

Another Mother's Day come and gone. This was probably the best one I've had in years. I didn't have get to go to church and have my face rubbed in it all. I had to work. And I got to talk to my Mommy, which is all I really cared about today. If I can't be with her, then I'm glad I was at work and at least got to talk to her.
There was one special moment today though, one that I shared with my mom 250 miles away.

When I work I go to the small sacrament meeting they hold in the hospital chapel. It's not much, but it's nice to have a few minutes of the Sabbath day to call my own and spend it worshiping before I have to go back to the ER and wonder why some people are allowed to procreate. Anyway, the opening Hymn for the service was Love at Home.

There is beauty all around
When there’s love at home;
There is joy in ev’ry sound
When there’s love at home.
Peace and plenty here abide,
Smiling sweet on ev’ry side.
Time doth softly, sweetly glide
When there’s love at home.
Love at home, love at home;
Time doth softly, sweetly glide
When there’s love at home.

In the cottage there is joy
When there’s love at home;
Hate and envy ne’er annoy
When there’s love at home
Roses bloom beneath our feet;
All the earth’s a garden sweet,
Making life a bliss complete
When there’s love at home.
Love at home, love at home;
Making life a bliss complete
When there’s love at home.

Kindly heaven smiles above
When there’s love at home;
All the world is filled with love
When there’s love at home.
Sweeter sings the brooklet by;
Brighter beams the azure sky.
Oh, there’s One who smiles on high
When there’s love at home.
Love at home, love at home;
Oh, there’s One who smiles on high
When there’s love at home.

Some of you know how I feel about this hymn. For those of you who don't, allow me to include you. I hate this song (aaaaaand there was the lightening strike for mocking a sacred Hymn, which I know that a song of the righteous is a prayer unto Him). It's just soooo cheesy. And I think it's ridiculous that it's only ever sung on Mother's Day. It is not only the Mother's job to make sure there is love in the home.  That is a job for everyone- including Dads! But also, I grew up in a home with love, and there were no roses blooming beneath my feet. That actually sounds kind of painful.

Anyway, the special moment that I had was: as we were singing... well, others were singing and I was laughing all the way through the song (yes, I need reverence lessons), 250 or so miles away, my mom was singing the exact same song and nearly the exact same time- and also laughing through it because she feels the same way about it as I do. Well, she had to lead the singing in Relief Society, so she couldn't laugh out loud, but I know she was thinking all the same things I was- and that's just kind of a fun bond we had today.

Happy Mother's Day, Mommy!

No comments: