Monday, November 5, 2012

The Obligitory Election Day Post

I did something really stupid. I didn't register to vote.

Don't yell at me!  I didn't know there was a deadline!

I am *SO* upset. I have been so excited to vote in this election. I've been watching all the debates, keeping up on the issues- and for the first time in my life, I actually feel marginally informed. I feel so awful that I don't get to vote. So many people fought and died so that I- as an American citizen- could have the opportunity to vote- and even more sacrificed so much more so that I- as a woman- could vote.

I am sick that I don't get to vote. Ugh.

On a lighter topic, there is one movie that is solely responsible for teaching me how our voting system works. I knew years before the other kids about the Electoral College, and that the winner is not necessarily the popular vote.

I learned this from a Disney movie called the One and Only Genuine Original Family Band. It's loosely based on a true story. It's set against the backdrop of the 1888 presidential election between Grover Cleveland and Benjamin Harrison.


If you ever get a chance to watch it, you should. All I can find online is the trailer, and a few of the songs (there is also a version of the whole movie, but it's sped up that it shows everything in 5 minutes- and is set to really stupid music, so I'm not going to bother mentioning that one).

The best line from this entire movie is:

"There's a time to stand up and fight for what you believe in. And there's a time to join hands and work together- or all the fighting doesn't mean a thing."

The point is, get out there and vote! And Wednesday, deal with the results, be they your personal preference or not.




No comments: