Wednesday, July 14, 2010

My Greatest Frienemy

Lately, I have been spending a lot of time with this one girl I know.  We've known each other all our lives (we even have the same birthday), yet we are still learning about each other.  We have almost everything in common.  We like the same things, She loves Italian food and chocolate- As. Do. I.  She also dislikes all the same things I do.  We are interested in the same things and can have conversations that go on for hours.  We read books together and discuss them.  We are the best book club and we are very, Very exclusive.  Sometimes when I don't know how to explain what I mean, She gets it and I don't have to try to find the right words.  It's very convenient.

Once in a while though, we fight- and she can be meeeeean.  But so can I.  She calls me "fat" and "ugly" but I tell her that she's "stupid" and "disgusting." A lot of times she's the one who is there when I'm trying to decide, "should I eat that whole pie?"  "Sure," she replies, "it doesn't matter what you look like, no one will ever want you anyway, so go crazy." Usually, I listen.

See? Sometimes she's not nice.  But really, in general, we get along most of the time.  There are times when I look at her I think, "good heavens, she is so pretty." But no one sees her the same way I see her,  People (other girls- never guys) say they do, but I don't buy it.  But she has her bad days too and she has the kind of face that should break a mirror... ghastly, honestly.

There are few wrinkles that we're still trying to work out.  She likes to be spontaneous, and I am a planner.  She likes to spend, spend, spend and I try to be more frugal.  She likes to sit and do nothing while I would rather get up and go for a walk.  She's more stubborn that I am though, so she usually wins.

My Frienemy is my biggest critic- and the one that I listen to the most.  I can get compliments from 20 different people- but if she says one bad thing- I believe her over all the others.  I shouldn't.  But I do.

She's not the same person she was a few years ago.  We've sat and talked together about what it would be like to be married and have kids and all the things that we always said we wanted.  But she's glad... and I guess I am too... that it never happened.  We have seen and done so much that we wouldn't have been able to do if we were tied down to a family.  We spend a lot of time, probably too much, talking about lost "loves" from the past.  Neither of us has ever been in love, but for some reason we like to pick at old wounds and make each other miserable playing the "what if" game.  We have a distinctly different taste in men.  She likes bad boys, I like the "Peter Priesthood" type.

Neither of us know what to do with our future.  But, we'll stick by each other and hopefully one of us will come out on top and drag the other up with her.

I like spending time with her. It's a good thing too because we have been much thrown together in the last couple of weeks and probably will be for the forseeable future.  Tonight? We're going to the opera.

1 comment:

Heather said...

What is there to say besides I love you. AND your friend.