Thursday, December 31, 2020

A Year in Status Updates 2020

Here it is! My favorite post of the year, It was quite an adventure that's for sure! 

January

Me: Don't turn the tv on. I'm grounded from the tv today.
10 year old (absolutely aghast): why are you grounded?
Me: because I was very bad yesterday.
8 year old(also flummoxed): who grounded you? Who's the boss of you?
Me: I'm the boss of me! I. Am. Grounded!

Anybody out there eBay savvy? I've got some stuff I wanna sell. Old collector-y stuff that needs a wider audience than a local online yard sale

I miss listening to Christmas music. Now all I hear while I drive is the potentially expensive noises that my car makes.

Today's edition of things that go on in my head which I probably shouldn't share:
{Drops something} "Dangit, gravity! Why do you hate me? You're always trying to keep me down!"
.
.
.
{Burst out laughing at my own idiotic comment]

I'm pretty sure that anxiety is the glue that holds me together. Get rid of my anxiety and what am I but a puddle of atoms?

I've been here for 18 seconds, it's dark and I can hardly see it but I LoVe IT! (Savannah, GA)

Thank you, DoubleTree for the free cookie. Sometimes a girl needs a free cookie.

Spent the afternoon at Tybee Island. It was windy, it was cold. But it was a beach. I'll take it any day! I watched the ships come in.

February

Friday's highlight was getting to play the 103 year old #steinway at the First African Baptist Church. I really did play it. By the time she started recording I was just dinking around. I thought she was taking a photo. Haha!



To honor the passing of Hollywood legend, Kirk Douglas, I'm watching 20,000 leagues Under the Sea. Thank you Disney+

I just realized I have not left my house since Sunday.

Is it past bedtime? Yes it is.
Did I stay up and watch Frozen II anyway? Yes I did. Do I regret it? No I don't. Will I be singing a different tune in the morning? Most likely

Hey all. My BFF is an author who is coming to the Boise Barnes & Noble to do a book signing on Feb 24-25. She would like to set up some school presentations while she's here. Do you know anyone at your schools who could make it happen? They are middle grade books, aimed at about 10-12 years old.

Sing with me! If you're single and OK with it, Clap your hands...

Got to church today just in time to watch everyone drive away...

Denver, prepare thyself. For 'tis but a month ere I cometh.

I've caulked two bathtubs and fixed a vacuum. I think I'm ready for my own home improvement show!

Stole the boys and ran away to Oregon... Because it's there! We ate lunch and discussed the world's best root beer, got free cupcakes, saw Sonic and ate ice cream. They accidentally made one blizzard too big, hence the angry look on big brother's face.




March

Telling you now- {Onward} is awesome. But if you've lost a loved one for whom you'd give anything to see just once more... Take a box of tissues.
Maybe a dish towel since tissue seems to be in high demand right now...

Okaaaay.... Maybe I won't be going to Denver next week.

PSA: Darby O'Gill and the little people is on Disney plus. BUT It is not the original audio. I guess American audiences couldn't understand the Irish brogue so they had to dub It.

Had a fun night with the kids so their parents could have an anniversary date. Our walk through the neighborhood was determined by heads or tails. We colored my poor blank driveway and had a hula hoop contest!

Think about your SENIOR year in High School. (If you can remember that long ago 😂). The longer ago it was, the more fun the answers will be! It takes 5 minutes, so let’s have some fun!! 😊
Class of: 1995
1. Did you marry your high school sweetheart? I didn't date. Still don't. Huh...
2. What did you drive? 1985 Chevy Celebrity
3. Where did you work? Fred Meyer
4. Where did you live? Chubbuck
5. Were you in choir/band? Choir
6. Still talk to your best friend? Yup!
7. Ever get suspended? No. I was... Am.... A good girl
8. If you could, would you go back? HELL NO! I even avoid reunions!
9. Still talk to the person that you went to prom with? I didn't go to any high school dances.
10. Did you skip? Ummm... Yeah.
11. Go to all the football games? One or two. I think we took state that year?
12. Favorite subject? Biology
13. Do you still have your yearbook? In a box at my mom's house.
14. Did you follow your "original" career plan? Not even close.
15. Do you still have your senior ring? As a matter of fact, I do! It's in my jewelry box.
16. Favorite teacher? Mrs Hardy
17. What was your style? Whatever was three seasons late and cheap.
18. What were your favorite shoes? I think I had black keds
19. Favorite thing to eat for lunch? If I stood in line I ate chicken sandwiches. If I did vending machine it was chocolate cookies and Dr pepper.
20. Favorite bands/groups? I was obsessed with NKOTB
21. High school: HHS! Ram Power! 🐏

Umm... not to add to the paranoia or hysteria... But did I just feel an earthquake?


April 

And just like that I have a LOT more time on my hands. 

All my friends... all faiths... even if you don't believe, let's join together as a global community for just one day.

I've wrapped up my James Marsden marathon. Now Pixar.

2000 piece puzzle. Average 4 pieces a day. 1 year 11 months to finish.

Its getting serious guys. I got so bored yesterday I almost signed up for a dating website

We had a fun afternoon in art class. We learned how to make puffy sidewalk chalk. @tjbaker08 and I mixed it up and the kids went crazy.

For #earthday we went out and cleaned up the trash in the neighborhood.



I repotted all my plants from my dad's funeral and my "Nonie tree" and I finally got my planter filled with some color! Taking bets now to see how soon they all die.

Tonight's fun: We made a restaurant for the kids! The hostess (me) asked for the reservation and showed them to their table. The server JaNeil, took orders. While they waited for chef Trav to prepare food, they got some live entertainment (which they did not enjoy 🤷) when they got the bill they had to pay up in hugs and kisses. The kitchen staff was happy when it was over.

May

When I sit down to do math with my eight year old nephew, he gets frustrated and cries and screams and pouts. He yells, "I don't wanna do it!" And raises a ruckus for an hour over 10 minutes worth of work.
It doesn't help that the person he's talking to knows what she's talking about about and is trying to help him. He's overwhelmed and upset.
I feel the same way when talking to people about lawn care and Sprinkling Systems. It was all I could do not to sit down in the middle of Lowe's and cry.

Channeling my inner #mariekondo today and going through boxes from 20ish years ago. Found some awesome stuff... Cried as I threw some of it away. The pearl necklace was from my friend's wedding. The best friend necklaces...? Anyone have the other halves?

Today we had kindergarten graduation! And for the last day of school we partied it up with a movie night!

It's been a busy, fun, crazy week. I borrowed all the kids, piled them in the car and took them to grandma's for a week. We've played. We've picnicked. They took turns mowing grandma's lawn while the peanut gallery watched. Made home made corn dogs. And there have been some timeouts and some sweet cuddles. And that was only through Tuesday!

Our adventure today took us to #RossPark where the rock slides are the same as when I was a kid. I (yes, *I*) took the #niecephews on a "hike".



When a regular ol' card game causes you to say 4 letter words you don't normally say... You know it's past bedtime. Sorry, mom.

Holy wind, Pocatello! I about had a Mary Poppins moment chasing my mom's patio umbrella over the neighbor's fence!

June

There seems to be a Muppet shaped gap in my nephews' education. I must come to the rescue!

I spent 3 hours weeding along the back fence today. The weeds were as high as the big lily. I also found a few squatters. Some of them got to stay, some got evicted.

Tagged along on the little family's adventure to Jump Creek. My kind of hike- about 5 minutes of hike ending in natural falls.

The rule for auntie sleepovers is that we have to watch a movie the kid has never seen. Introduced the kid to the Court Jester and he loved it! Thank Heaven!! We also played Atari... That one he wasn't so impressed with.

I can't bring myself to delete my Marco Polo conversation with my dad. Sitting here listening to our pointless silliness... it sure is good to hear his voice. Happy Father's Day

Is it 3 a.m? Yes it is. Am I still up? Yes I am. See what covid has done to me !? I need to get back to work so I can be on a regular schedule!!

A few weeks ago I found MASH on Hulu and set a goal to watch all 11 seasons before going back to work next week. That goal has been met... But now I have another month off... What to binge this time...

Watching documentaries about cats... With cats. So this is what life has become...

If I ever had a nanny, I would want it to be Julie Andrews.

July

I've never been a fan of R&B and rap so I've avoided Hamilton despite the rave reviews and recommendations of friends. I didn't want to spend a million dollars to see a show I would hate... So Disney kindly televised it and I have only one word. Genius.

This hollyhock at my mom's house is out of control! To put it in perspective, I am 6 feet tall!



I can say I saw the comet. Not well... But I well enough.

I GET to go back to work!!!

August

Back to work observation... I have a Pavlovian response to goldfish crackers. I used to munch on them at work and did not eat a single goldfish during pandemic vacation. Now that I'm back to work I'm craving goldfish like crazy! #weirdthingsIprobablyshouldnttellpeople

Two things to celebrate today:
1. Today is national Sneak Some Zucchini on your neighbor's porch day. I don't have any zucchini to celebrate with but I do have a good recipe if anyone wants to give me a zucchini 😉
2. I have been in my house a YEAR! Holy crap?!? My walls are still naked and there are still boxes in my bedroom... But a year. A whole year.

Happy #internationalcatday to the two cutest, laziest, sweetest monsters I know.

It was an awesome day. My sister Valeri was a beautiful bride!! And very unpleasant surprise... I caught the bouquet. I really really really didn't mean to.

I keep my house so cool that my kitty takes her daily naps in the hot, stifling garage.

Very grateful to my family who helped me lay down weed barrier, soil and all those bricks. This backyard may turn into something yet. Also, I had one more very late bloomer. Such a happy little guy. And my miracle plant: A branch of my bleeding heart broke off and so to be funny I stuck it in the dirt and said "grow!" Four months later I went to throw the stick away and found it had sprouted!

September

Parts of the fam went camping for the weekend. Mom and I drove up for dinner and shenanigans. I can't believe I am Pocatello born and raised and I've never been up #scoutmountain

Wrapped up in two blankets and fuzzy socks... But I still refuse to turn the heat on before Oct 1!!

That feeling you get when all your laundry is clean... But then you realize you live alone and no one else is going to fold it and put it away

An impromptu Halloween party in the middle of September?? Sure, why not? We put together costumes for a reindeer on summer vacation, a boxing Mickey clown, and a unicorn princess. Followed by crafts, witch movies and caramel apples.



The best part of living alone is that I can go sleep in Spare Oom while the unfolded laundry sleeps in my bed. 🤷

Seriously, if they don't have bagpipes in heaven, I don't want to go!

Work meeting this week- we had a Disney Trivia contest and I beat 50 people! 'Bout time all that useless knowledge paid off!

Well... I found my lost pair of jeans. #laundryday #AllMyWhitesAreNowMyLightBlues

When I hear a weird noise I often look at my cats. If they carry on like nothing has happened, I know all is well. But when they get up and investigate the noise, it makes me paranoid because that means the noise was real!

I am Idaho born and raised. I've lived in West Idaho for over a year... And somehow this is still my first visit to the #boisetemple

You know I love a good Hallmark movie... But sometimes it's ok to be ambitious and live in the big city. You don't always have to opt for the small town and your high school crush. There is nothing wrong with having goals to see the world.

October

Had lots of family fun at #linderfarms tonight. So much we didnt get pictures of everyone! Beautiful night! Thank you @do_work_realty for the fun times!

Is this a safe space? Can I admit that though this movie is nearly 30 (!!!) years old I've never seen it? Taking care of that now...


Nothing ruins a Friday faster than realizing it's only Tuesday.

8 yo nephew: What time is it?
Me: 6:20.
8yo: My clock says 6:19.
M: I rounded to the nearest ten.
8yo: uuuuuugghhh...
M: What's wrong?
8yo: It's the weekend. Don't make me do math!
I feel ya, kid.

Going to church for the first time in months!

A couple of weeks ago I did a blog post and talked about the greatest compliment I'd ever received. The one I wrote was wrong... So I changed it to:
A few years ago I spoke in church. Afterward a man in the congregation shook my hand and said, "Great job! I didn't fall asleep once." That is the highest honor a Mormon can receive. Haha!!
Macy reported her mission today and I didn't fall asleep once. Well done Macy. Well done.

I'm to the age where I can do my own home improvements, leave for a few days, and come home and be totally surprised! 🙄

I knocked another Idaho temple off my list today. One more to go!



Feeling some anxiety tonight so I wanted to read something funny... *I * think I'm funny so I went to my blog to read some old posts and came across this instead. Still grateful for all these things.

Some movies you have to watch once just so you know to never watch it again.

Some days are just pie-for-breakfast kind of days. Happy Friday, y'all.

So I'm proofreading some things at work- one paragraph has an overabundance of commas and I think to myself, "This is what we call the Shatner comma... huh... William Shatner is getting older. I wonder how he's doing. I bet when he dies we have a William Shatner Day. That would be neat, I'll watch all the Star Treks. But you know, I'd rather celebrate it on his birthday rather than the day he died. I'd rather honor his life than forever mourn his death. Like Easter. I am grateful that the Savior died for me... but I'd rather celebrate the fact that He rose again and that He lives and made it possible for me to live again... Oh... right, commas..."
This, ladies and gentleman is my literal train of thought. Welcome to a sneak peek into what goes on in my head.

Someone turned #niftyfifty so we had a surprise sock hop! Happy birthday Kim! welcome to the 50s!

Two weeks of church in a row?! It's a Rona miracle! Also, teaching this kid to play #villainous was fun!

Voted today. No fanfare. No stickers. Just a ballot, a box and me.

November

I like being tall. I smile on the inside when some random stranger at the store asks me to get something down for them. #30daysofgratitude

I marvel at the miracle of the night sky. Our universe is incredible. I could look at stars forever.

There are so many songs I love. But this song from the Carousel of Progress is one of my all-time Disney faves! There's a great big, beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day.

In college I designed a scratch ticket and it was distributed by the Idaho lottery. Still pretty proud of that.

Just one friend? There are so many I love!
But today I'm going to give a shout out to a friend I've actually never met in person. She stumbled across my blog years ago and we've become long distance friends. I LOVE having international pals! One day when the world opens back up I will visit her in Switzerland!!
Barbara Wild
I'll see you... Someday!

I love the smell of a cooking roast beef. How comforting and nostalgic is that smell? It smells like coming home to mom's house after sitting through a long lesson at church. Mmmmm.....

Who says you can't learn wisdom from Disney movies ?
“Apparently the next president of the United States has been chosen. And the future of [our country] has been settled. And nothing we can do here now is going to change things one iota. I know some of you have been bitterly disappointed... [but] we here together can build the greatest united country in the whole bloomin' world if we'll just remember one thing. There's a time to stand up and fight for what you believe in, and there is a time to join hands and work together or all the fighting doesn't mean thing. So I suggest this is the time for joining hands, a time for making up.“
-The One and Only Genuine Original Family Band

This girl. This girl right here makes me smile. She gives the best hugs and kisses. She has the most infectious giggle and just exudes pure joy.


The moment I had my house keys in my hand. Best. Day. Ever!

I love that when I moved in I didn't have to paint or change a thing. My little house is perfect as is.

I am awfully grateful for this sweet girl. Only the lucky people get to have an angel in their family. True Christlike love and pure joy.



Today I am grateful for goldfish crackers. 2020 has been the year of goldfish. They keep me awake at work and make me popular with the littles. I'll take whatever edge I can get.

To those who served, thank you for your service . To those who stayed behind and worried, thank you for your sacrifice. ❤️🇺🇲

I don't excel at many things... But I do make really good chocolate chip cookies.

I'm cheating and saying two. I love my silly, awesome brothers, Randy and Travis. I'm so grateful for them!


I look forward to winter solstice when daylight will start lasting longer. I hate it when it gets dark so early.

Housework is so much more enjoyable if you wear a tiara.

Not part of my gratitude calendar, but extra grateful for furry critters who woke me up this morning after I failed to set my alarms. Even More grateful that they somehow know the weekends from weekdays because they don't wake me up on weekends, but weekdays they're like, “Servant, you've slept long enough. Wake the heck up!“

I don't know if she realizes just how much I admire her- and though I can look her straight in the eyes, I quite look up to her. Jona, , how does being a hero feel?

I am grateful that I was taught tolerance. I don't care what race, religion/lack of religion, orientation or culture you claim, if you're nice, I like you. If you're not nice, buzz off.

I'm quite a fan of electricity. Sure candlelight has its charms, but I enjoy light. And AC. and my electric toothbrush. And ice machines. And...

Anxiety is the *best*!
-no one ever

I am grateful for fun, silly coworkers. Yesterday I showed up to a meeting wearing my tiara and instead of making me feel like a weirdo, a bunch of them put on their tiaras or mickey ears to join in. 🙂

Shaking and shaking and shaking the pepper shaker wondering why no pepper is coming out... Only to realize it's the salt shaker... Which works very well, indeed. 🤦‍♀️

I am grateful for the gift of memories. I can keep happy moments alive even though they may be long past.

If you've ever met me, you know I love to celebrate everything! Christmas? Of course! St Patrick's day? Fer sher! National Unicorn Day? All over it! Sneak some zucchini onto your neighbor's porch night! Aww yeah!

I am grateful for cameras. What an incredible thing to be able to freeze a moment in time and remember it decades later.

Diving for watermelons with JaNeil makes me laugh till I die! Grateful for funny moments. #givethanks

Fold all the clean laundry or sleep in SpareOom? Yeah. Like that's even a debate. Grateful for clean clothes and machines that wash and dry them for me. #givethanks also grateful for a second bedroom.


After a few rough nights' sleep (as only a single, childless person can experience 😝) today I'm grateful for naps. Naps are nice. I look forward to my next one.

Water is the elixir of life and honestly my all time favorite beverage. I luvs wadda

I am grateful for the book A Monster Like Me. Not only was it written by my BFF
Wendy Swore
, but I'm in it! Twice! 😁

I'm grateful for my mama. You know how awesome she is, so no need to elaborate.

I know I mentioned the other day that I am grateful for drinking water. But water in general is a miracle to me. I love to drink it, watch it, listen to it, sit in it, swim in it, float on top of it, stand under it, chew on it... I even like it when it falls from the sky (not such a fan of driving in it). It's beautiful yet deadly.

Thanksgiving with these weirdos. It was small. Maybe the first time ever we've all been at the same table for a holiday. But it was nice. 🦃🥧



Most of the time dads aren't involved in Christmas shopping for the kids- so the year my dad ventured out and bought me a Nook... Perfect gift. Made me cry. 🙂

Whenever one of my niecephews randomly quotes a Disney movie, it gives me hope for the next generation of Disnerds. 🤓

Someone once told me my eyes were so beautiful they could get lost staring at them... It was an 80 year old woman ... But I guess ya gotta take compliments where ya can. 🤷‍♀️

On this last one... I am passionate about the proper usage of pronouns. It is NOT "Her and her friends went to the movies." It's "SHE and her friends..." It's not "my husband and I's first date..." it's "my husband'S and MY first date..." Also, sometimes it's OK to say "me" in a sentence. "Mom took Kim and me to the movie." The rule is, take the other person out of the sentence and if it doesn't make sense, change the pronoun. "Brad and I danced all night" see? That sounds better than "me danced all night", but so many people are afraid to use me that they always use I... Now go enjoy the rest of your day. Grateful for my education. #givethanks 

December

My Elfie got out last night. If any of my Caldwell neighbors could keep an eye out... I'm panicking. She's never been outside before.

***She's home!!! ***

The temple brings me peace. I can't wait till it opens fully once again.

It's 8:30. Do you know where your children are? After her unapproved walkabout, Elfie was starving and Nessa let her know how badly she was missed. Don't do it again! Naughty kitty!

My favorite scene from The Christ Child is when the Wisemen finally find him. The look of relief on his face after years of faith and searching, to finally behold the Christ. What an amazing day that will be.

I'm really tired. I should go to bed. But I can't find the remote to turn my TV off. I don't know how to do it manually. I've looked all over. And don't go giving me logical solutions like unplugging it.

I sat down to read my book, got all comfy and realized I didn't bring my book with me. Guess it's naptime instead. 🤷‍♀️ #lazygirlproblems

Sometimes the universe aligns and the Polar Express Hot Chocolate song comes on just as you sit down with your hot, frothy beverage.

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
❤️Chapter 23❤️
❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Mondays are Mondays. There's no helping that. But when it starts out by stepping in a puddle 8 seconds after you put on warm socks? Sigh...

JaNeil and I tried our hand at candy making tonight. It was not without adult supervision though. Thank you for talking us through it, mom.

I don't have a star on my tree. I have an angel. And when I think of angels, I think of my Heather Lindsay Barlow. She is a peacemaker; far kinder than most people deserve and quite an example to me.

Most random fb request of the day: does anyone in Idaho have a marble slab I can borrow?

To those who have brought me Christmas treats, thank you! I promise they ARE going to waist! 🤣😂

I miss going to the TabChoir Christmas concert. Last year was the first one I'd missed in like, 8 years. The one I missed is, of course when they sang my favorite-est Christmas song. #BirthdayOfAKing

Clocking out from work to begin the holiday week like:


Having our #christmasadam party a few days early. There was spaghetti, cookies, games, sillies and #thestarofbethlehem #auntielife #niecephews

It's so very frustrating when you say something awesome and clever and no one gets it.
This is not that thing

I'm not very home improvement-y... But even I know this combination of screws is wrong to hang a door. No wonder my door was falling off its hinges! If you're gonna flip a house, take pride in your work and do it right!



The funnest thing about Christmas is watching the kids play with their new toys.

Well, Soul is... Well... Determine for yourselves... But I can't see kids sitting through it. I will say it has a beautiful message though

Been up for an hour... [looks at watch] Is it naptime yet?

I set a goal to go to the temple at least once a month. Even though I haven't been able to go inside since March, I still kept my goal and went every month.

Hey, remember that one NYE I made sparkling jello in a fancy mould? You know, the one that I put in warm water so it would come out and then when I picked up the plate to show it off, it slid into the hot water and promptly dissolved?
Hey, remember that one NYE where I planned a volleyball all-nighter and ONE person showed up?
Hey, remember that one NYE when a random stranger walked into my house in the dead of night because I forgot to lock my front door?
Hey, remember that one NYE where I stayed up way past curfew and gave my mission companion an easy cheese facial?
Yeah... Good times...


That's it for 2020! Here's hoping that 2021 is... less eventful? Is that really something I want to hope for? Let's hope that the events are good events...



1 comment:

Melissa Ann said...

I love this post every year!