Thursday, June 7, 2018

Jordan River Temple Dedication

I just wrote this long ol post with a zillion pictures and it disappeared. uuuuuuuugh! so here is the short version. I'll post the other pictures another day.

I may have mentioned in the past that my earliest living memory is of me walking hand in hand with my parents through the Jordan River Temple during the original open house in 1981. I was four years old. It clearly had an impact on me if I remember it from that early on. I have always had a special place in my heart for this temple.  A couple of years ago they closed it down for renovation and in March it opened back to the public for an open house before being being rededicated in May. 

for those of you who may not be familiar with the difference between LDS meeting houses and temples, click here.

Lately when a temple is dedicated, because they want as many who can to be involved, they stream the dedication sessions into local churches. I don't know how I got so lucky- but was invited to attend the session inside the temple. 



I went to the 3:00 session and sat in one of the ordinance rooms. Before it started, President Eyring,  Elder Cook and the Temple Presidency kind of paraded through the room. It was really fun to see them. Such sweet individuals.  I made sure to have my white hankie ready for the occasion.


This was my ticket to get in. I'll probably keep this one forever. 


The grounds were just lovely. Does anyone know what those purple puffball looking flowers are? I felt like I was walking through Whoville for a minute there.


It was a long line to get in, but they have a pretty impressive system down and got us all in and seated fairly quickly.


It was a beautiful session. I'm so grateful for the opportunity I had to go. I've said it before, I'll say it again. I'm so happy that I know Heavenly Father's Plan. I may not understand every detail about it- especially where I fit in the whole scheme of things. But it's so reassuring to know that there is so much more than this life. It's especially close to my heart after losing my dad.
(by the way... still weird)



And of course no outing would be complete without the obligatory selfies. It was such a lovely day. I'm so happy I got to be a part of it.



I love to see the temple.
I'll go inside one day.
I'll cov'nant with my Father
I'll promise to obey
For the Temple is a holy place
Where we are sealed together
As a Child of God I've learned this truth:
A Fam'ly is Forever.

2 comments:

Susan said...

So wonderful!

Melissa Ann said...

Such a super cool experience!