Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Capitol Tour and Library of Congress

After I wrote all of those NYC posts, every night I had stressful travel dreams for a couple of weeks- so I had to take a break. I think I'm ready to get back into it. But I'm taking the risk that the crazy dreams will start back up. I'm willing to make that sacrifice for you. I know, I know. I'm the best. 

Day one in DC (I use the name DC loosely- we were everywhere, Virginia, Maryland, Delaware...) dawned bright and early. Anadine had gotten there earlier in the day the day before and was in bed by the time we got there. Megan flew the red eye and got in very early that morning so she was at Marie's before we were awake. 

First on the list for this adventure was the Capitol building. We piled in and headed into DC. 


You have to make an appointment to get a tour of the capitol. Several of us submitted to the representatives of our states to try to get one. Of all the people who applied- we had ONE winner! I won't say which state because I don't want to get our tour guide in trouble because s/he gave us some "off limits" information and peeks down non-tour hallways. 

We waited out on the steps for a while until our guide arrived.


Our tour started by going in the underground tunnel. Our guide said that this hallway is usually filled with fun artwork, but we caught it on painting week. (the red block is our guide ha!)


The first part of our tour was to learn about the statue of Freedom and the architecture of the outside of the rotunda. Did you know there were two rotundas? One inside the other? Yeah, me either. 

We knew it was going to be an emotional day because from this point here, several of us were already misty-eyed.



Our guide promised us a very feminist oriented tour, which was totally up our alley. A group of liberal feminists'? Yup. 

Of the hundred and something or other historical figure statues in the Capitol building- SIX  are women (I *think* I'm remembering that right- someone in my book club correct me!)


Here is Freedom up close. My favorite part is the all the symbolism. Nothing is accidental, everything is symbolic and I love it. I especially loved having someone explain it to me because often symbolism is lost on me. 



Not far away was this little unassuming table. This table was used at Lincoln's second inauguration. Pretty neat. 


These lovely ladies are Justice and History. They were once over an entrance to a building, but they were deteriorating so they brought them inside for preservation. 


This is the original Senate chamber, then it served as the supreme court chamber for several years. So much history happened in this room. John Adams was inaugurated here.  If you look reeeeeally hard, you can still see the figures seated at the desks. And if you listen veeeeery closely, you can hear the nation-changing orations still reverberating from the walls. 

This is the lower rotunda.  Some of these pictures might give you vertigo. Sorry. 


Each state has two representatives from their state represented in Statuary Hall. For each of the 13 originals, one statue is in the lower hall. 


And then there's this guy. Who doesn't love this guy? 


When we went to the main Statuary Hall, we found this marker on the floor where Lincoln's desk stood. I stood where Lincoln stood!


I don't remember why I was fascinated by the statue of Edison. 


I recognized this guy sitting over in the corner. Hello, Utah! Utah also claimed Philo T Farnsworth, which wasn't fair since he was totally from Idaho. 


This is one of the Idaho representations. George Laird Shoup. Our guide told us that they had to be born in the state and contribute to American history.  Neither of the Idaho guys were born in Idaho. Laaaame! Wasn't there *anyone* from Idaho who has made a significant impact on history?   (I nominate Ezra Taft Benson, former US Secretary of Agriculture)


Here are a couple of the statues of women. I can't remember who the one on the left is, but the one on the right is Rosa Parks. 

*Thanks to Anadine's pictures- I can read that the woman on the left is Frances Willard (an American educator, temperance reformist and suffragette [thanks Google])




Here is the main rotunda. We sat down and our guide explained everything you see in the center artwork. If you really zoom in you see George Washington 


And then this guy. Fair warning- anytime I saw anything with Hamilton, I took a picture of it. remember, I had just been to the  Broadway show like, the day before... 


These massive paintings surround the rotunda. As I was going through pics- I didn't get them all. I don't know why! But they were awesome and filled with detail. 



The coolest thing about this one- was that the artist wanted it to be totally authentic. Instead of just saying, "oh, this person represents this guy..." he actually traveled around and did live sketches of every man in the room. There were only a few who were unavailable (read, dead) but he was able to get likenesses from family portraits and such. I just think that is amazing!


Here's my standing-straight-under-the-rotunda shot....


And photographic proof that I was there. 


There was a hallway blocked off by a giant flag. Our guide told us it was off limits to tours- so naturally we went in. It leads to a door where the Speaker of the House can go out on a balcony and look over the whole Mall. 


Here is a statue of Regan. I know a lot of people didn't like him, and honestly- I don't understand his politics well enough to have and opinion one way or the other- but he was the president of my childhood so he holds a special place in my heart. 


Here, our guide was telling us (against the rules) about the horrific events of January 6. One of the most disgusting days in our history. Sometimes I'm not super proud of our country. That was one of those days. 


These are the stairs that the insurgents rushed. 


And this is where they broke into Nancy Pelosi's office. So disgusting. I don't care if you don't like her, her politics or her hairdo. That is not the way an American Patriot should behave!


Our guide also took us to "the tomb", meant to be the final resting place of George Washington until his wife nixed that idea. It lies directly under the crypt rotunda. It is rumored to have been used as a jail occasionally, but it's just a myth.


Here is Marie in the super-secret House of Representatives Elevator... Ok, it was a public elevator, but still, it sounds way more fun my way. 


That was the end of our Capitol tour. It was very educational.  I'm so glad we got the tour guide that we did. There were a lot of extra little tidbits we might not have gotten otherwise. Sorry I have to block you  out, Mx Tour Guide. It's for your own job security.  (like anyone who reads this will care 🙄)

Our next stop was the Library of Congress. 


I really should have written all these posts sooner- I've already forgotten more than I learned!

The inside is quite beautiful and ornate. 




Proof I was there.


On display they had a Gutenberg Bible. Wow! That was actually kind of awesome. This was the paving stone to educating the masses! There are fewer than 50 left in the world!


I liked these little cherub-y looking fellows. So many pieces of classic art look the same. It was nice to see a little ethnic diversity thrown in. 


This is the main reading room. In one of those alcoves is where the President's Book of Secrets is kept. Haha juuuust kidding. I totally know that the events of National Treasure I and II are not real. And I did *not* in any of the places we visited- pretend I was searching for clues. 


Ahem... aaaanyhoo- I did not realize it until afterward, but there is a Cyrus Dallin sculpture in here. He did the Isaac Newton statue. I tried zooming in- but I don't think I caught him in any of my pictures. Dangit! All the reason to go back!

Not my picture. I totally stole this from some website. 



These buildings are all well and good and "oh yeah, isn't that neat?" Until you stop and realize WHEN they were built and then I just marvel at the craftsmanship and wonder how on earth they accomplished it!


This is a mosaic of Minerva, goddess of wisdom. Why is the picture blurry?  I'm glad you asked. It's a funny story. There were signs everywhere to keep moving along, do not stop and linger on the stairs. A worker was standing at the top shouting at anyone who stopped to take pictures. So, being the snot that I am, I never *stopped* but I moved very, very slowly and took this picture over my shoulder. Haha!


After the Library of Congress, we headed to a little Amish market. We got there just before they closed so we ran in and bought a bunch of goodies because it was book club night- and what is book club without a houseful of num nums? I bought cannoli, cake, cookies... It all looked good... someone else bought a pie or two, some donuts... seriously. We probably doubled their sales for that day in the last five minutes of their work day. And that's not even what we went for! Apparently they have amazing pretzels but they had closed that part of the store by the time we got there. Next time!

For dinner we went to one of Marie's favorite burger joints. We got it to go and headed back to her house. 

Even the burgers and fries were an adventure! Mine was the Philly burger. Yum- o!



We had book club in Marie's basement. Have I told you about this book club? I feel like I have, but I can't remember what I had for lunch today- so it's not like the ol' memory is super reliable. We're international (for reals) It all started in Utah- but as people move away, we just keep them in. When the pandemic hit and zoom calls became a thing, we all joined in. Marie is a founding member, so she's been face-timing in the whole time, but it took a pandemic for the rest of us to be able to attend.  


So for the few of us outliers- we zoom in once a month and try to catch up on on everyone's news. Most of them are there live, then the rest of us are there electronically and/or in spirit. It was kind of fun to be on the live end of the zoom call this time. haha! We had book club there, and the Utah folks had to take a zoom turn. 😁

I will try not to let another month go by before I post the next day's adventure. 

No comments: