Wednesday, March 16, 2016

A Tale of Two Earrings

Christmas of 2013. Melanie had stocking duty for me. We girls take turns doing each other's stockings. Anyway, Mel had my stocking. My mom has told me that she was so excited. She filled it full of things from my childhood. It had sixlets and fun dips. There were little toys like a miniature Simon game and a Kermit the Frog Pez dispenser.  All things that she knew I would love. It was so thoughtful. I loved it.

Also in the stocking was a little white box. When I opened it I was so happy to find a matching set of earrings and necklace. A Claddagh necklace and earrings. I was so excited! I've always wanted them- and of course, I love the Irish bit of my heritage.  She asked me if I thought it was cheesy- No way. I love them.

Shortly after that Christmas- after Mel's death I moved to my apartment. A month or so later when St Patrick's Day came around I dug them out. Or at least... I dug the box out. I have no idea how it happened. They were each in little plastic baggies inside the box. I'd never worn them. But somehow- one of the earrings was missing. Lost in the shuffle of the move. I was devastated but I never threw out the other earring. (who are we kidding? I never throw out anything!)

Once at a Scottish festival I tried to buy another pair- but I couldn't bring myself to do it. Anyway, that one earring always just sat by itself in the bottom of my jewelry box. The necklace was kept safe, still in the plastic baggie and inside the white box. I never wore it.

Fast forward two years.

A week or so ago I was moving things around in my car and cleaned out the cup holder. In the bottom of the cup holder- under a crusty napkin was a single Claddagh earring. Huh? how the heck did that get there? I figured it was the one I hadn't lost. I couldn't remember a reason why I would have taken the one earring outside the house, but huh... oh well... But then there was that twinge of hope... when I got home, I looked in my jewelry box and the single earring was still there. Was it possible I'd found the long lost mate!?

I ran out to my car to make sure I wasn't fooling myself. It was there! I have absolutely no idea how it got in the cup holder of my car. Or how it even came to be in the front seat. But I don't care!

It's a Saint Patrick's Day Miracle!


And yes, I am wearing leprechaun socks.



1 comment:

Melissa Ann said...

So cool! It makes me want to cry! Tender Mercies!